Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Showcase : Battle For Blood Island - Warhammer Style

A while ago my local Games Workshop Store (Peterborough) ran a contest with the title and theme of conflict, it was intended to be a conflict between two (or more) heroes battling it out, This is what I entered
Battle For Blood Island



My intention for this piece was to break that 4th wall by having warhammer heroes playing warhammer itself, the original idea was warhammer heroes playing 40K but seemed more difficult to create a tiny 40K for the table so I chose to simulate a tiny mock up of the Games Workshop Warhammer Box Set, with two opposing heroes settling their score with an unusual method for a duel.

This piece features flooring and the table created using Hirts Art Moulds, but to rather good effect I think. The rulebook (page 27 of the warhammer rulebook being displayed if anyone really wants to check) is leftover from a high elves mage, the measuring stick is simply a piece of wire from a paperclip and the high elves magic cards in the scratch built hand of the priest is done from the clear plastic of a blister pack. The GW case is made from a block of resin cast in a small rectangle with an etched brass Forge World Aquila glued on to the front (yes I know GW don't use that on the new cases but it gets the idea over if not the reality and on the older cases they do use that format).
All the terrain on table was built from plasticard, green stuff and flocking foam. and is (supposed to be at least) a GW chapel and tower, 1 squad of high elves, trees and some dice (painting the dots on the dice nearly gave me eye strain by the way) all on the old green mat.

Here are a few more angles which highlight a few differing areas of the piece.





This one always seems to be popular with visitors to my battle bunker and as such I thought I would share it with you too.

Ohhhh yes and before I forget, I mentioned this was for a Games Workshop in store contest chosen by instore votes, although there were not many entries (pity really as the opposition had some great ideas - one with a helldrake and epic miniatures on the base to represent scale and imply height) this was the winner by quite a large margin. 
Please feel free to comment and let me know what you are working on I'd love to hear about your projects too

No comments:

Post a Comment